INQUIRY and STRATEGIES
Identify the Problem & Ask Questions
What top ten facts are most important to know about a racial or ethnic group (through a Sociology lens)?
What is the best way to communicate the information?
After browsing general information (facts, statistics, data), create and gather pertinent information for a 'Top Ten' list.
What criteria must be met for information to be a FACT?
Part I (Audience: Teacher)
- Top Ten List
- Works Cited (MLA format, 7th edition)
Part II (Audience: Classmates and Teacher)
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Locate and search appropriate resources
- Vary search terms (don't use the same search terms over and over again)
- Think of synonyms
- Use Boolean searching
- Use "quotation marks" to search for exact phrases
- Search for a variety of sources - print text, video, audio, still images, speeches, interviews, charts, graphs, research and case studies, and more!
- Be creative
Some search terms to try:
- statistics, data, facts, demographics
- "geographic distribution"
- health care, health
- prison, incarcerated
Usernames and passwords for subscription databases and e-books are located under the Contents section of the Edline homepage.
Free Online Resources
Take a moment to read the 'About Us' information.
- Who is providing the information?
- Where did the author find his/her facts, data, information?
- What is the purpose of the site?
- When was the site last updated?
- What is the possible bias?
BIBLIOGRAPHIES & CITATIONS
When you use someone else's words, work, thoughts, and/or ideas, you need to give the person credit. It doesn't matter whether you quote the person word-for-word or put it in your own words (paraphrase), you need to acknowledge where the words, work, thought, or idea originated. Otherwise, you are passing it off as your own.
Record Bibliographic Information
Don't forget to record the following for each source you use:
- Title of article, chapter, film, webpage
- Page number
- Name of magazine, newspaper, journal, book, website
- Publication date
- Name of subscription database (if used)
- Format (web, print)
- Date of access (if found online)